Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Q & A with Racing Fanatic James McCool

We have some incredible fans and industry experts around the nation that we had to hunt down for some personal insights. Check out the inside thoughts of fellow Oklahoman, James McCool!


How did you fall in love with horse racing?  

I grew up an Oklahoma farm ranch, so I was always around horses, but it was my friend from school who took me to Fair Meadows when I was 18 years old that sparked my love for racing. He and his dad were a regular, so he was a great source of knowledge. Campus was a mile from the track, so we would always go between classes and pick up the program for the night. 

What is your favorite racetrack?

Remington is home and it’s just so modern and nice. The facilities and upgrades are amazing. Oaklawn is right there for me as well… It always takes me on a trip to memory lane.



How many races do you go to in a typical year? 

Wow… too many to count! I can count 9 different tracks over the year that I’ve been to in a single year, maybe more.

What’s your most memorable racing memory?

For me it’s that run Smarty Jones made at Oaklawn. Sweeping all the 3 year old preps there  and the buzz at the track.

Thoroughbred or Quarter Horse season, if you had to choose?

Thoroughbred. It takes longer to lose your money!

Have you ever owned or trained a race horse? 

Yep! None currently that are at the track. I have 2 retired that are at my farm, Bully and Red.

Favorite race day munchies….and GO

The gigantic nachos from Bricktown Brewery!!! 

What is the most you have won when betting? $20,214.00 would be the biggest hit to date on a multi race wager at Del Mar a couple summers ago.

What is your favorite aspect of the horse racing industry?

Horse racing has always been my way to get away from it all, and it’s allowed me to make invaluable friendships over the years at multiple tracks.

How have you seen the industry change over the years? 

Accessibility for one. There are SO many more ways now for fans to get involved now than ever before!

Below you will see James on one of his many adventures with one of our very own, Blaze! They have been known to chase rainbows as they road trip from track to track.



















Stay tuned for next week's Q & A segment featuring the next mystery racing guest!


Written by:
Krystal Nelson

Facebook: Remington Park 
Twitter: @remingtonpark // @therpblaze
Instagram: @remingtonpark //@therpblaze
Snapchat: RemingtonParkOK





No comments:

Post a Comment