Friday, September 28, 2012

An Interview with HOF Inductee Don McNeill


                                                                                                                    By Avery Oden


Don C. McNeill is no stranger to the horse racing industry. Far from it, he’s been involved in the game for over 30 years - and it shows.

Mr. McNeill has owned some of Oklahoma’s highest-earing thoroughbred race horses including millionares Clever Trevor, Mr. Ross, and Caleb’s Posse. And make no mistake, his success is no coincidence. This is a product of dedication and love.

So it’s no surprise that on Wednesday, September 26th, he received the distinct honor of being inducted into the Oklahoma Horse Racing Hall of Fame.

I had a chance to pose a few questions to Mr. McNeill this week after the ceremonies, and here’s what he had to say:


What does it mean to you to be inducted into Oklahoma Horse Racing Hall Of Fame? 

“It is a great honor and very humbling, because it’s really about the horses. Not me.”


What did you learn from your experiences with Clever Trevor and Mr. Ross?

“I had been in the business for nearly twenty years when Clever Trevor came along so I knew full well how special he was. I also learned to enjoy making memories with my family, friends, and Donnie Von Hemel’s family.”


What do you think has set you apart in your career as a breeder and owner?

“I am definitely not a better horseman. I haven’t worked harder, nor am I smarter than most, or spent as much money buying horses. The only thing I could maybe claim is patience and perseverance.”



What is you favorite part of your job?

“I love raising babies and watching them grow with the anticipation of one becoming the next big horse. I love following the horses to the races with my partner and trainer and all of our families.”


Has it been difficult to meld a personal passion with a successful career? 

“Well for me, I feel lucky to have been able to do the things I truly love. Having a passion for what you do makes the journey more fun because as you immerse yourself in your interests, success seems to follow.”


Was there any point where you considered quitting? 

“Yes, absolutely. There was twenty years before Clever Trevor, another ten years to Mr. Ross and another ten to Caleb’s Posse. During those long stretches I got discouraged and thought about getting out but then another horse would come along that made me want to stay.”


What’s the most important piece of advice you would give to a new owner?

“Find an honest trainer that always puts the horse first, and then be patient.”


What aspect of your career are you most proud of? 

“Having raised homebreds that were able to compete at the highest level, like Caleb’s Posse. He was a fourth generation homebred.”



Mr. McNeill was inducted to the Hall of Fame along with executive Neil Vance, and Oklahoma-bred horses Kip Deville and Highland Ice. The induction ceremony for the Oklahoma Horse Racing Hall of Fame at Remington Park was part of Oklahoma Derby week, leading to the state’s biggest Thoroughbred race on Sunday, Sept. 30. 

I’d like to thanks Don McNeill for his time, and to congratulate him on a successful career in a field he is passionate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment