Friday, September 28, 2012

An Interview With David Vance, HOF Inductee


                                                                                                                   By Avery Oden


David Vance’s influence on the history of Remington Park cannot be overstated. He was the first president and general manager, he oversaw construction in 1988, he even named the place.

Without Vance’s steady hand on the wheel, who knows what would have happened to the young and fragile horse track. He’s the one who got the place on the map, and very likely the reason the place is still up and running today. So it should be no wonder that on Wednesday, September 26th, he received the honor of being inducted into the Oklahoma Horse Racing Hall Of Fame.


I got a chance to speak with Mr.Vance this week about the occasion, and about his history with the park:


What motivated you to start a career in horse racing? 

“I got lucky. I had spent seven years in professional basketball, but when the merger between the ABA and NBA occurred, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next. I received a call from the Chairman of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission asking me if I would have any interest in running a race track. I was 34 years old, but I loved horses and I had an interest in a management career, so it just seemed to fit.”


Why do you think Remington Park continues to be so successful?

"It starts at the top, and Global Gaming has done an incredible job since purchasing the track. They have made a commitment to racing in Oklahoma and it has been a God-send for the industry. Scott Wells and his management team see the big picture and have a shared vision. Equally important is the fact that the employees at Remington bring a high level of professionalism and enthusiasm. As they say, it takes a village - and this is a perfect storm of talent and resources. Remington Park is a very special place because of that."


How did you come to choose the name, “Remington Park”?

"Corny as it sounds, I wanted the track to be a work of art. One day, while we were in the formative stages of developing the concept, I visited the Cowboy Hall of Fame. I've always been a fan of Western art and two of the greatest artists in history were C.M. Russell and Frederic Remington. Russell Park didn't appeal to me, so I didn't even consider that. Then I read that Remington requested that his tombstone read: "Frederic Remington, He Knew The Horse" I liked that. The Remington Rifle had some influence, as well, because of Oklahoma's western heritage. I had already decided I wanted it to have "Park" in the name of the track (I don't like "Downs," although it works for Churchill). I liked the sound of Remington Park, so I went with it."


What were some of the toughest decisions you had to make as President and GM of the still-developing Remington Park?

"It was an incredible challenge putting together the management team and hiring the right people who would buy into a philosophy of Remington Friendly (our theme at the time) and a positive, thumbs-up attitude. I could go on forever outlining the demands that come with building a facility like this in a new market. A former Oklahoma governor, "Alfalfa" BillMurray, once answered a similar question about his service as governor and he said "It was just one damn thing after another." I guess that's the easiest way for me to answer this question, but it was a wonderful experience."



What aspect of your career are you most proud of?

"In a word, the employees. Working with a group of people who have a shared goal of excellence and making a commitment to create and sustain something very special is the greatest reward I could hope for in my career."


What are on your current horizons?

"I'm a race track consultant and most of my work is concentrated in Latin America (I just returned from ten days in Brazil). I really enjoy that. When looking at purchasing a new track, it reminds me of my days at Remington."



What advice would you give someone going into a leadership position for the first time?

"Be a student of leadership. Understand what it means to be a "Servant Leader." (Google Servant Leader and click on Wikipedia's definition). That's my preferred style. I know it works. You can motivate people one of two ways: toward the rewards of success, or away from the fear of failure. Patton was a devotee of the latter, but I prefer the rewards of success because I believe it's longer-lasting. I get great satisfaction from seeing a young person achieve success beyond their own expectations. I suppose there are born leaders, but I also believe leadership is a developed trait. It's a commitment to excellence. But it also means not being afraid to fail; to make tough decisions."


The induction ceremony for the Oklahoma Horse Racing Hall of Fame at Remington Park was part of Oklahoma Derby week, leading to the state's biggest Thoroughbred race on Sunday, Sept. 30. 




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Mr. Vance. This award is well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete