Tuesday, December 13, 2011

MY FAVORITE RP MOMENTS OF THE MEET – TB MEET 2012

By Chris Kotulak
Communications & Broadcast Associate












What a treat it was for me to surface at Remington Park.  For me, it was the best of many worlds. 
Where do I start?  Being around the horsemen that I cut me teeth with in horse racing was so satisfying.  For the first few weeks, it seemed like every time I turned around, there was somebody else who I hadn’t seen in years.  And the wild thing was, when maybe a week would go by without another re-acquaintance, surprise, along came someone else.  And not only horsemen, I loved catching up with the race fans and owners I’ve known for decades.  So many of them had the same message for me about my involvement with TVG; thank you for that.  No one said life would be fair, but I consider it a blessing from God to land where I did here at Remington Park.  I continue to have a good relationship with TVG and that can only help us at RP.

I’m also blessed to be surrounded by some terrific folks with whom I work.  Aside from my handicapping and nightly, on-camera appearances with Joy Rose, I also do a lot of behind-the-scenes work upstairs in the press box.  My responsibilities allow me to get my fingers into a lot of pots.  I am directly involved with marketing decisions, fan education; broadcast endeavors and was named the chairman of the RP Hall of Fame Committee.  No, I was not named to the RP HOF, I was only named to oversee the significant undertaking of the HOF banquets – both TB and QH. 

Sharon Lair is the Marketing Director at RP and she must feel like she’s running a three-ring circus at times.  I’ve worked around a number of arrogant marketing execs; Sharon is not one of them.  Her marketing department is like a hive of busy bees buzzing about.  Sharon has a special skill of connecting with a variety of employees who have a variety of roles.  Our weekly marketing meetings are enlightening, entertaining and productive.  It’s so rewarding to work at a track that not only has good ideas, but has a budget to implement the good ideas and try new ones.  I like the fun of the Beer Run; the genius of the Calendar Giveaway; the Hat and Halloween Costume Contest too.  Occasionally our Pres & GM, Scott Wells will surface at the marketing meetings to listen and contribute; of course, Scott is apt to surface anywhere on our property.  That man is an intrepid horseman, track manager and lover of the game.  Good for us!

Upstairs, RPTV is a reliable tv crew; Stephen is the longtime director, who is also a comic and sitcom savant.  Scary!  He is dutifully assisted by Shane, who pushes plenty buttons himself – but in a good and silent way.  Monty, Sam and Ryan shoot mounted cameras and you typically see Hal on track level with a camera on his shoulder.  Hal usually has a wireless microphone in his pocket – the one I have been know to leave behind.  There’s also a plumber named Michael who is often either bringing us wicked chicken wings from a food truck called Bo Bo’s; this plumber also occasionally runs camera, or sprints to remedy whatever needs attention.  I’ve enjoyed working with our video editor David.  He’s done some clever stuff on his own and he and I are destined to do some really cool stuff together.

Within earshot of my desk upstairs (for better or worse) are three real gems.  For whatever reason, Dale Day and I hit it off the first afternoon I arrived.  Maybe it is our similar age; maybe it is our Midwest background; maybe it is our similar jobs and work experience; maybe it is our similar humor – maybe it’s because he’s a really good guy?  Dale is incredibly even-keeled; I have yet to see him come un-glued.  I noticed he doesn’t eat the contents of the Tupperware container he brings to work until after the last race; I’m afraid to ask him what time he leaves the press box.  I’d say I work the early shift, he works the late shift – and that seems to work for us both.

Directly behind me is Dana.  She is in charge of much of whatever is designed or printed here at RP.  Racing Publications is her title.  Dana has a wonderful grasp of graphic design and attention to detail.  Blondie, as Dale and I call her (she likes it – I think) also knows horse racing and is a proud TB breeder & owner along with her husband.  Look for her smiling face in the winners circle whenever Kirk Thoroughbreds wins a race.  Completing the press box trifecta is Michelle.  An odd bird this one.  Here’s another slow-burner who really knows racing, and really knows RP racing; but it doesn’t stop there.  Michelle is very tech-savvy and has picked up on what makes for good tv.  This modest maven is largely responsible for the content of what is displayed on the Super Screen.  Michelle has an atrocious diet of pop & donuts, but this sharp cookie (she gobbles them up too) is integral in the look of RP.  I feel like I fit right in with them; it feels like a winning superfecta.

Those, among others, are the fine folks I rub shoulders with on a daily basis...  Randy Hare is priceless in her position at the Racing Information Center.  She’s also a pretty good handicapper – just ask her.  Speaking of good handicappers, Marilyn Toney was our leading handicapper this meet (edging Jerry Shottenkirk by one win – one win Jerry!), but she also has her finger on the pulse of the on-track VIP players.  Marilyn was born for the position she holds here.  I just wish she’d quit smoking.  I wish everyone would quit smoking.  Someone who I only see once a week, but who many (or millions) may interact much more, is Yenni.  Boy, she really trills her Rs’, and drilly, drilly can Tweet!  Senorita de Tweeta (Yenni or Jenny for the unadventurous) is in charge of our rapidly-growing social media exposure.  She, and our latent and growing fan base, is making quite an imprint. 

 
Yikes!  I’ve gone on a bit haven’t I?  Sorry, I’ll stop here for now.  My next post will truly be about those truly lovable horses and horsemen.

2 comments: