Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Wanna be a racetrack general manager?


By Scott Wells
President & General Manager


Wanna be a racetrack general manager? Talk to my feet first! I think I must have walked 20 miles yesterday, checking on all that's going on at Remington Park. When I left late last night I still wondered if there was any possibility we could be ready for our opening night of the Thoroughbred season Thursday night. But thanks to the people who kept on working until after 2 this morning, things are looking more promising. And this morning it's a beehive of activity again. They're polishing the floors in Henry Hudson's this morning, though there's still a lot of work to be done. They're testing the beautiful new waterfall, they're laying the last of the thousands and thousands of pavers on the Plaza, they're installing the beautiful new wrought-iron railing, they're carrying the new benches and picnic tables all over the place (Oh my aching back! I was helping with that last night and can feel it this morning.). They're about to relocate the portable video screen, using cranes to help get it across our BEAUTIFUL grass course. All this is going on while hundreds of Thoroughbreds are galloping by, turning their necks to see what the heck is going on. Yeah--it's definitely worth it, this being a racetrack GM. Like any business it can be hectic, but unlike any other business, I nearly always have beautiful horses nearby, prancing, arching their necks, galloping and sometimes running all-out in the fresh morning air.



I can't WAIT til this weekend! Jockey Calvin Borel, that charming, bashful Cajun who has won three of the last four Kentucky Derbies, will be racing here Saturday night, along with many of the best jockeys (and horses) in the country! And Friday night is College Night! That means lots of beautiful young women!!! (Being closely tracked, of course, by admiring young men.) Oh yeah…I do like my job. Come out this weekend and see how it all looks. You'll definitely be impressed!

3 comments:

  1. You've sold me! Where do I sign up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of your employees of remington park, and a former mutuel manager....I totally understand the lengths you go to, in order to make opening day a great one for all patrons.....my hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could someone contact you here is my email bryan1985smith@gmail.com I realy need to talk to u

    ReplyDelete